Behind today's Queen’s Speech is a clear vision for a country that offers security and opportunity for everyone - at every stage of life.
We want to build a country where - whoever you are and wherever you live - you can have the chance of a good education, a decent job, a home of your own and the peace of mind that comes from being able to raise a family and enjoy a secure retirement.
And the bills announced in today's Queen's Speech are about delivering on that ambition:
- Full Employment and Welfare Benefits Bill – setting out our ambition to achieve full employment, create 3 million more apprenticeships, expand our support for troubled families, and continuing to reform welfare and bring down the benefits bill.
- Enterprise Bill – backing businesses to create more jobs by sweeping away burdensome red tape, getting heavy handed regulators off firms’ backs and creating a Small Business Conciliation Service to help resolve disputes.
- Trade Unions Bill – ensuring that strikes can only go ahead with genuine support from members, minimising disruption for hardworking taxpayers.
- Childcare Bill – helping families byproviding for an increased entitlement to 30 hours a week of free childcare available to eligible working parents of three- and four-year-olds, and requiring local authorities to publish information about the provision of childcare in the local authority area.
- Housing Bill – give more people the opportunity to buy a home byextending the Right to Buy to housing association tenants; building 200,000 new Starter Homes for first-time buyers; helping more people to build their own home; and working to further increase the level of housebuilding.
- Energy Bill – continue to increase our energy security, including a strong new regulator to make sure we get the most from our oil and gas reserves, and put onshore wind into the locally led planning system.
- Immigration Bill – making illegal working an offence and creating a new agency to crack down on cases of exploitation. It will also make it harder for illegal migrants to live in the UK and make deportation faster.
- Education and Adoption Bill – speeding up intervention in failing schools and continuing our significant improvements in the adoption system – so all children get the best start in life.
- Cities and Local Government Devolution Bill – devolving the necessary powers and responsibilities to city-wide areas with elected metro mayors – helping all parts of our country benefit from a growing economy.
- HS2 Bill – enabling the building of phase one of the new North-South rail line.
- Scotland Bill – delivering in full the recommendations of the Smith Commission Agreement by transferring new tax and borrowing powers.
- Wales Bill – securing a strong and lasting constitutional settlement and devolving wide-ranging powers to Wales.
- Northern Ireland Bill – providing full and independent investigations into unsolved Troubles-related deaths; enabling victims and survivors to seek and privately receive information, and creating a new independent Oral History Archive.
- Extremism Bill – delivering new powers to tackle extremists who reject our values of democracy, equality, free speech and respect for minorities.
- EU Referendum Bill – giving the British people a voice and a real choice on Europe in a referendum by the end of 2017.
- Investigatory Powers Bill – updating legislation to ensure that our law enforcement and intelligence agencies have the powers and capabilities they need to keep Britain safe.
- Policing and Criminal Justice Bill – continuing to reform policing to give police officers more freedom to do their job of making our streets safer, whilst at the same time ensuring that they are accountable to the communities they serve.
- Psychoactive Substances Bill – making it an offence to produce or supply ‘legal highs’, restricting their supply and ensuring that people have less opportunity to get them. It will also give powers to the police to seize and destroy ‘legal highs’.
This is a Queen’s Speech for working people, from a One Nation Government that will bring our country together - and build a brighter, more secure future for hardworking families. SHARE to let friends know.